500 E 84th Ave., Suite M-15, Thornton, CO 80229
Rhinoceros - often abbreviated as rhino, is a group of five species in the family Rhinocerotidae. Two of these species are native to Africa and three to Southern Asia. *wikipedia
Things You Might Not Know About Rhinos
* Rhino is sometimes used as a nickname.
* The word rhinoceros is a combination of two Greek words – rhino (nose) and ceros (horn).
* A group of rhinos is called a crash.
* Rhino horns are not made of bone, but of keratin, the same material found in your hair and fingernails.
* Some rhinos use their teeth – not their horns – for defense.
* White rhinos aren’t white and black rhinos aren’t black.
* Rhinos and elephants are not mortal enemies.
* The white rhino is the largest rhino species and the largest land mammal after the elephant.
* Humans are the major threat to rhinos.
* Most wild rhino calves never meet their fathers.
* Black, white and Sumatran rhinos have two horns; Javan and greater one-horned rhinos have one horn.
* Rhino horn has been used for centuries in traditional Asian medicine, but has not been proven to cure any illness.
* World Rhino Day is celebrated on September 22
**compliments of the International Rhino Association - www.Rhinos.org